Can You Put a Mattress Topper on a Memory Foam Mattress?
The quick answer is yes. A latex mattress topper can be used on top of a memory foam mattress, which will firmer and chill your mattress. Latex mattress toppers, on the other hand, are more expensive than memory foam mattress toppers.
Memory foam mattress owners frequently raise the question. It may appear that adding an extra layer on top of the mattress is counterproductive, but it all depends on the circumstances. Frequently, the selection is based on relaxing an overly firm mattress.
If you have a worn-out or outdated memory foam mattress that is causing you problems while sleeping, you can replace it with a suitable topper to restore your preferred levels of comfort.
A latex topper is an excellent option because it has all the necessary features to transform your drooping memory foam mattress into comfortable bedding.
Again, if your current memory foam is too soft or too firm, a latex topper can alleviate the discomfort and make all the difference in getting a good night’s sleep.
One disadvantage of a memory foam mattress is that it allows you to sleep hot. You regularly or frequently wake up sweaty during the night, and this occurs because memory foam cushions your body and traps heat near the body.
Heat retention can be avoided by using a latex layer over your foam mattress. Furthermore, the latex construction with pinholes gives excellent breathability. As a result, the sleeper feels cooler and sleeps better.
Purchasing a latex mattress topper can be beneficial if you require additional support on various pain spots.
It will provide additional support and pressure discomfort reduction for all side sleepers who already use memory foam mattresses. Even back and stomach sleepers will benefit from improved spinal alignment.
How thick should a latex mattress topper be?
Most mattress toppers, including latex, are available in three standard thicknesses: 2 inches, 3 inches, and 4 inches. Here is a complete guide to selecting the proper thickness for your latex topper.
- Most consumers select this thickness as the standard. This thinly layered topper will quickly rejuvenate your existing mattress while providing all of the advantages of latex.
- Suitable for people with little or medium-sized bodies who just wish to feel the conveniences of latex material.
- For durability, a density of 3 pounds per cubic foot is recommended.
- The ILD rating ranges from 20 to 30.
- Not suitable for persons suffering from joint aches or looking for additional support.
- Toppers in the medium size range.
- Suitable for people of average size or with a medium body frame.
- This popular size replaces the first wear and tear on an existing mattress or changes the firmness level.
- The density of 3-4 pounds per cubic foot with an ILD rating of 30-40.
- Overweight and side sleepers are not recommended.
- One of the most extensive topping collections.
- Suitable for people with massive bodies or those with a large frame.
- This size is suitable for restoring the structure and comfortability of old sagging mattresses.
- It provides a luxurious feel, increased support, and pressure point relief.
- High density (4 or more pounds per cubic foot) with a higher ILD rating (means firmer topper).
- The stiffness will be too much for light persons, who will feel uncomfortable.
Advantages to adding a mattress topper to your memory foam mattress
A mattress topper is an excellent method to improve the feel of your mattress without purchasing a new one. Take a medium-firm or firm mattress and add a soft topper for superb support and velvety softness.
A latex mattress topper is an excellent method to upgrade to sleeping on natural latex on a budget, especially if you want to extend the life of your current mattress. It’s a terrific opportunity to try latex before investing in a natural latex mattress.
A soft mattress topper is especially helpful for side sleepers, who apply weight on one hip, shoulder, elbow, and knee while sleeping. On substantial mattresses, this might cause significant discomfort. A latex topper cushions your body, relieving pressure on these sensitive regions.
Because toppers come in various widths, they can be a good compromise for partners who share a bed. If one partner prefers strong support while the other prefers comforting softness, you can purchase a twin xl topper and place it on only one side of a king-sized bed.
Another reason to purchase a topper is to reduce motion. If one spouse in a relationship moves around or wakes up frequently during the night, a latex topper can decrease motion so that one person’s waking up does not disturb the other. Some pet owners find that this lets them sleep through their pets’ nighttime behaviours of cuddling in and bounding up.
Disadvantages to adding a mattress topper to your memory foam mattress
If you lay a mattress topper over your foam mattress (that isn’t foam), the memory foam moulding to your body will be lost.
It is possible to add a memory foam topper to your memory foam mattress, and using a different sort of topper, such as memory foam, negates the purpose.
When it boils down to personal preference, there aren’t any substantial drawbacks. If you don’t like the memory foam feel, we believe selling the mattress and starting over is the best option.
However, if you want to soften your sleeping experience, we recommend purchasing a memory foam topper to alter the depth and/or softness.
Adding a mattress topper to your memory foam mattress is an excellent approach to achieving the desired feel.
For best comfort and pleasure, we recommend utilising a mattress topper with a memory foam core rather than any other substance.
Using any other sort of topper on your memory foam mattress contradicts the purpose of having a sleeping surface that conforms to your body.
Unless you’ve experienced a revelation and, of course, no more extended desire foam.
If you are unhappy with your mattress, you can read our blog on how individuals utilise their mattress topper as a mattress.